Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty

Representing the 5th District of Connecticut


Homeowner Resources and Mortgage Relief

For many, owning a home may seem out of reach. Others may have found themselves struggling to pay their mortgage and stay in their homes. The federal government offers many resources that may help.

Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief

Homeowners can find short-term tax relief with the extension of the mortgage debt relief tax break. This one-year extension exempts underwater homeowners from paying taxes on the portion of their mortgage obligation that had been forgiven by lenders. The IRS can provide additional information about the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act and Debt Cancellation.

U.S. Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Housing Counseling

HUD offers free or low-cost housing counseling. Housing counselors can assist you with buying, renting, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues, and reverse mortgages. Find a housing counselor near you.

HUD also offers resources for prospective home buyers.

Making Home Affordable (MHA)

The U.S. Departments of the Treasury & Housing and Urban Development assist homeowners who are struggling to afford their mortgage payments. MHA offers assistance with obtaining a mortgage modification, refinancing, and avoiding foreclosure. Visit the MHA website to find out more about these programs.

Federal Housing Administration (FHA) Loans

FHA insures your loan, which encourages lenders to offer you a better deal, including low down payments and low closing costs. FHA loans are particularly helpful for first time home buyers, who can negotiate a down payment as low as 3.5%. FHA also provides the option of an energy-efficient mortgage, allowing you to include the costs of energy improvements. See what FHA has to offer.

USDA Rural Development Home Loans

Rural Development offers loan, grant, and loan guarantee programs for low- and moderate-income individuals residing in designated rural areas. Loans may be used to acquire, build, repair, renovate, or relocate a home. It is even possible to refinance an existing mortgage. See if your home is eligible for a Rural Development loan.

To find out more about these programs, contact the Windsor Rural Development Office. They may be reached by phone at 860-688-7725 ext. 4 or by email at

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Home Loans

Eligible veterans and active duty servicemembers may apply for a home loan through the VA. Loans may be used to buy a home, build a new home, make energy efficient home improvements, or buy a manufactured home and/or lot. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loans

The SBA provides low-interest, long-term disaster loans to businesses, non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters to cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain items that have been damaged or destroyed in a federally declared disaster. Homeowners and renters may borrow up to $40,000 to repair or replace clothing, furniture, cars, or appliances. Homeowners may also apply for up to $200,000 to repair their primary residence to its pre-disaster condition. Learn more about SBA disaster loans.