Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty

Representing the 5th District of Connecticut


Agency Help

If you can't get an answer from a government agency in a timely fashion, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the government agency involved;
  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.

Please Note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. We must have your signature to proceed with your request.

Help Center

Listed below are some issues our office may be able to help you and your family. This is a partial list, and if you don’t see your issue listed below, please contact me or call my New Britain office at 860-223-8412.

Social Security Administration

  • Help resolve problems with benefits and secure owed refunds
  • Follow up on disability applications

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services

  • Help providers or patients with reimbursement problems
  • Get a new card and answer questions about enrollment

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

  • Make inquiries on the status of a delayed tax refund
  • Help work out a payment plan for taxes owed

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

  • Inquire about delayed benefits
  • Help communicate with a VA Hospital
  • Clarify qualifications for veterans benefits

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the U.S. State Department

  • Determine the status of a delayed citizenship application
  • Help with petitions for relatives of legal residents
  • Provide assistance obtaining passports or visas for travel

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

  • Determine possible home loan modification programs to lower monthly mortgage payments

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

  • Help make a claim following a natural disaster
  • Inquire with FEMA for potential “repetitive flooding loss” funding